Angel Lodge No. 9040
17th November 2014
- Royal Assembly Rooms,
- Albert Square,
- Great Yarmouth,
- NR30 3JH
Meetings: First Monday, September to November, & February to April and June. Installation Meeting: June.
All meetings are a 6.15pm start with the exception of Installation which is earlier at 5.30pm.
W.M: Anthony P. Smith, 22 Whinchat Way, Bradwell, Great Yarmouth, NR31 8SD
Tel: 07957 215661
Secretary: Martin J. Price, 22 Nottingham Way, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2SA
Tel: 01493 851492
Almoner: Michael Allen, 24 Jellicoe Road, Great Yarmouth, NR30 4AW
Tel: 01493 856007 (Home) 07768 360939 (Mobile)
Next Master: Graham P. Gibbins, 42 Potters Drive, Hopton, Great Yarmouth, NR31 9RH
Tel: 01502 730923
Early history of Angel Lodge
On the 6th June 1751 William Lord Byron, Baron Rochdale, Grand Master, granted the Warrant of Constitution of the Angel Lodge to be held at The Angel Inn in the Market Place of Gt. Yarmouth. It was the first Lodge in Gt. Yarmouth.
Whilst at the Angel Inn, where a sixpenny supper was provided, it bore the numbers 210, 147, 117, 95 and 96. In 1787 it moved to the Half Moon also in the Market Place and on to the Star Tavern at Hall Quay two years later where its number was changed to 88.
In 1794 the Brethren moved to the Three Tuns at Bridge Street, Southtown, Gt. Yarmouth and thoughts developed to start a new Lodge. Several of the Members formed the Lodge of United Friends in 1797 at the Two Necked Swan in Gt. Yarmouth. This Lodge still flourishes today. It is therefore significant and appropriate that the Lodge of United Friends sponsored it’s revival in 1982.
Angel Lodge returned to the Star in 1806 where it’s number became 112. The Lodge of United Friends also moved there in 1817 and appeared to prosper at the expense of Angel Lodge.
It was during this time the Lodge decided to move to Norwich and in 1823 it moved to the Bowling Green Inn, Chapel Field and then on to the Norfolk Hotel, in St. Giles Street the following year.
The Gt. Yarmouth residents joined the Lodge of United Friends..
The Norwich Brethren did not maintain the Lodge much longer as they quarrelled and broke up in 1831 following the blackballing of a brother proposed by the Master.
Two of the original minute books from 27th August 1751 to 25th May 1796 are preserved, wherein amongst many interesting items the record of the meeting of 18th August 1763 give the earliest trace of Royal Arch Masonry in Norfolk.
In the late 1970s concern was expressed at the time taken for a potential candidate to be initiated together with the long time it then took to get to the chair. It was therefore proposed that a new Lodge be formed in the town to relieve the pressure on the existing Lodges. The name “Angel Lodge” was chosen because of its historic associations with Freemasonry in the borough and in 1982 the warrant was sponsored by the Lodge of United Friends – still going strong 185 years later – a rare occurrence of a “daughter” Lodge sponsoring the revival of its “mother” Lodge.
The Angel Banner
The Lodge banner was completed in 1984, some two years after consecration. The banner was designed by W. Bro. Aliffe and painted by the unusual medium of airbrush on to linen.
The angel, best described as a “fulsome” figure, stands between two pillars with inscriptions of “founded 1751” and “reformed 1982” on the bases. The original artist derived much of his income from bikers by painting designs on to leather jackets and motor cycles, which no doubt accounts for the “Hell’s Angel” comment which has been made! The wide held belief that Bro. Frawley modelled for the likeness is without foundation.